- A wonderful piece of Zuni jewelry and wearable art. This necklace made by Velma and Blake Lesansee (see page 4,5 in Bell, Zuni The Art and the People , Vol 3), is composed of 12 inlaid owls + the Naja.
- Husband-and-wife team Blake and Velma Lesansee started working together in the mid-1950s. They are best known for an inlaid owl design in necklaces, bracelets, earrings and pins.
- These artists are represented in such in museums such as the Kennedy Museum of Art & New Mexico Museum in Santa Fe.
- There are pictures in Bassman, Theda. Zuni Jewelry. West Chester, PA: Schiffer Publishing Co., 1992, p. 25. Also in the discontinued Bell, Ed and Barbara. Zuni: The Art and the People Vol.3. Dallas, TX: Taylor Publishing Company, 1977, p. 4-5.
- Furthermore, there is a description in Wright, Barton. Hallmarks of the Southwest. Atglen, Pa.: Shiffer Publishing Ltd., 2000, p. 102-103.
- To view more great jewelry on this website, please click HERE!
Length of Necklace
2-1/2″ wide x 2-3/8″ tall
Top of Necklace to Bottom of Naja
Sterling Silver, Tortoise Shell, Turquoise, Mother of Pearl, Sea Shell & Coral
Weight in grams
Velma and Blake Lesansee Silversmith
See above description